[A] lot of work on revolutions is just regurgitation of the American and french, both of which tell us little. And most is meaningless today.
For some background I would recommend these:
- Goldstone’s Short Introduction
- Goldstone’s Revolutions
- Brinton’s Anatomy of Revolution
- The IRA Handbook
- Search google for “revolutionary handbook” (most are there)
- Poole’s Tactics of the Crescent Moon
- Creveld’s The Culture of War
Culture is important because what you think is winning is what you feel is winning and what you feel is winning is a cultural norm NOT a truth.